This year’s Parade of Lights will be held on
Saturday, December 3, 2022 @ 5:20 PM
The Rotary Clubs of Santa Maria & Nipomo, Santa Maria Times and KCOY invite your participation in the Christmas Parade of Lights.
Completed entries must be submitted online no later than midnight Friday, November 11, 2022. You may apply HERE.
All applications MUST be submitted online. No fax, posted or other applications will be accepted.
Any donation you can include with your application to help defray costs would be appreciated. Make checks payable to Santa Maria Breakfast Rotary.
Parade is limited to 103 entries – We expect to reach our limit early, so submit your application as soon as possible.
*Commercial Floats: May carry the name of only the sponsoring firm or organization in addition to a theme wording.
Emphasis: The use of lights
Judging & Awards: More Prizes! This year we again hope to promote the use of lights and will make cash awards totaling $4,500! First place prizes are $350 and second place prizes are $150 will be given out in each of the following seven categories:
- Best use of lights – Commercial
- Best use of lights – Religious
- Best use of lights – Youth Non-Profit
- Best use of lights – Non-Youth, Non-Profit
- Best use of lights – Other
- Best band
- Best marching group
One overall Sweepstakes award of $1,000 will also be given out.
The awards will be selected during the parade and will be announced in the Santa Maria Times on the Sunday immediately after the Parade. Each entry will also receive a large rosette. The rosettes will be given out a the start of the Parade.
- Any donation you can include with your application to help defray costs would be appreciated. Make checks payable to Santa Maria Breakfast Rotary, and mail to: P.O. Box 1518, Santa Maria, CA 93456.
- All participants must be uniformed, costumed or appropriately attired.
- Any entries consisting of advertising or expressing political, social, etc. viewpoints, will not be acceptable.
- All entries in the parade must be approved by the Parade Committee. Any deviation from the rules must be approved by the Parade Committee prior to their acceptance of the Parade application.
- Entry numbers must be placed on the right side of each entry.
- Floats MUST be at their line up area by 4:00 p.m. All other entries MUST be in specified place in assembly area by 4:30 p.m.
- Parade will start promptly at 5:20 p.m.
- The Parade Committee accepts no responsibility for false statements made by applicants or entrants.
- Forward motion must be maintained throughout the parade route.
- Please carry an identification banner if possible.
- Unit spacing must be maintained throughout the entire parade. If spacing exceeds 50 yards, you may be asked to leave the parade.
- Violations subject to removal from the parade.
- Parade Hotline: Call Mike Gibson at (805) 680-0071
- KCOY -TV will be broadcasting the parade live the night of the parade.
- Entries can not be more than 17 ft. 6 in. in height.
- Information on parade will also be posted at our website: www.smparadeoflights.org
The parade is free but interested people can help ensure the success, and continuance of the parade by sponsoring of awards, cookies, ribbon, lights, etc. Sponsorships range from $25 to $1000. Please contact the Parade Hotline at Santa Maria Valley YMCA 937-8521 ext. 225 if you are interested in sponsoring.
- Your position and lineup location will be mailed (to the address provided in your online application) plus emailed to you (to the email address provided in your online application) on or about Nov. 16. Position numbers will be distributed at your lineup location on the day of the parade. Should you for some reason fail to receive a position location, please be on hand anyway, and when you arrive at the parade site, check in with one of the Staging Marshals who will help you find your position.
- Throwing of articles prohibited, especially candy.
- No animals are allowed in this parade.
- No liquor or beer of any kind will be allowed in the parade and anyone who violates this rule will be removed from the parade.
- If you find you are unable to participate, please notify us immediately.
- Any Special requests regarding placement in the parade, type of entry to follow or be ahead of, etc. must be so stated on application. We will endeavor to comply with your request.
- Halting the parade for performance purposes is strictly forbidden.
- The Parade Committee will provide “Santa Claus” and no other “live” Santas will be allowed in the parade.
- All participants & viewers are asked to bring a canned good which will be collected along the parade route & donated to the Salvation Army.
- In case of the threat of rain, a decision to cancel or continue the parade will be made by 10:00 a.m. on the day of the parade. KCOY -TV will also be showing a screen subscript parade day in case of inclement weather. In addition, there will be an email notification
Bands & Marching
- There will be 2 areas designated along the parade route where you will be required to play music.
- Each of these areas will be preceded by a half block by a sign stating “Area 1 or 2, Prepare to Play”.
About half a block later there will be a sign stating “Area 1-Playing Zone”.
- Naturally we hope you will play your instruments along the entire parade route.
- The only dignitaries eligible to ride in motorized vehicles are incumbent Superior and Municipal Court judges, Incumbent Santa Barbara County Supervisors, Incumbent Santa Maria City Council Members, Incumbent State and National Representatives, and Special Invitees of Rotary Club’s of Santa Maria & Nipomo and the Santa Maria Times.